Certain foods play tricks on my taste buds and mind. I take a bite thinking mushroom, but get the chewy taste of meat. The flavor is that of a salad, but the texture is more like a delicious filet. Wild Oyster Mushrooms are to blame. After a week of Syrian food, I return to Dubai eager to have a “different” salad. So the ingredients below fit the bill.
- 1 cup sliced Wild Oyster Mushroom
- 1/2 cup sliced Red Onion
- 1 table spoon Fresh Ginger Root
- 1/4 cup Large yellow raisins
- 2 table spoons Lime Juice
- 1 table spoon Unsweetened Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Rock Salt
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and saute the onions until soft
- peal and pound the ginger root until fine
- add the ginger root to the onions and fold for 10 seconds
- add the mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes
- add the lime juice
- let it cool
- Season with salt to taste
It has been six months since I sold my car! Images like these remind me of how much healthier my lifestyle has become. While I haven’t lost weight, I’ve certainly shed fat, and more importantly, feel lighter!
I imagined being car-less would tax my time, but somehow life seems to be slowing down. I’ve come to appreciate Dubai metro and enjoy watching riders and imagining their stories. I survived the summer heat with out a car. I can now look forward to walking in beautiful Fall, Winter and Spring Dubai weather. I still haven’t bought a bike, but it is in the cards.
This is a sweet, thick vegetarian soup. Cooked it on a slow, lazy Friday. The sweet potato gives it a creamy texture. It is filling, healthy and delicious.
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Yellow Onion (medium)
- 1 Small broccoli head (2 cups)
- 1 Carrot (Medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt
- 4 Cups water
- 1 table spoon fresh chopped ginger root
- 1/2 table spoon of vegetable oil
- Peal & slice the onions
- In a pan heat the oil and saute the onions until golden
- Peal & slice carrots, sweet potatoes
- Chop broccoli
- Peal and pound the ginger root
- Place all ingredients in a pot with water, bring to a boil for 10 minutes, then let it simmer on low 15 minutes (or until the yams and carrots are soft).
- Blend the mix in a food processor